25 September 2012

Rock faking

Carving, sliding, manuals and rock fakies - a whole new world of skills out there


The buzz of going down steep ramps is a thing of the past, Zak is now much more interested in getting those slides and ollies off the ground. He tries and tries and tries, and respectfully waits for his turn amongst the big boys at the skatepark. 

I just put the latest video together, including yesterday's very exciting first ever drop in on a mini bowl followed by a rock-fakie, which was then repeated 6 times in a row confirming that it wasn't just beginner's luck. I was even able to film it twice so that his super proud dad could see it at home. It's such a buzz for all of us who have been following his progress from 5 months ago to see him do something now that is so difficult to achieve.


The other really cute thing is that Zak has grown to really love his fellow skate mates from our local Riverwood skatepark. They are about 15 years old and treat him really nicely and are so very supportive and patient with him. I barely get to park the car before I hear Zak shouting from his baby car seat, Ellijah!!!! Peter!!!!! and rushes to meet and high five them! Such a little dude! He thinks he is one of them. I guess he is. 

Riverwood is a smallish skatepark but has great features making it a great training ground for Zak. The mini bowl specially, pictured below, is just the best for Zak's level as he can practice again and again all the little tricks involved in dropping in from a metal coping ramp in a bowl, rock faking, kick turning, 50-50s, etc. Nowadays he is reluctant to be taken anywhere but Riverwood. It's his favourite skatepark, and it's great.







5 comments:

  1. I love this blog. It's so fun to follow Zak's progress. I'm looking forward to getting my little guy out there on a board when he gets a bit bigger. It's so fun to see the different stages of skating ability. I hope more blog posts are on the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thank you for the sweet message. We're just back from a trip to Brazil, so I'll get this blog updated asap. How old is your little one? I hope he will get to love skateboarding too. Take care and thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back. Kai is 8 months old. He just skateboarded for the first time a few days ago! He may need a bit more practice before he's ready to rock to fakie though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TRVZ2OEhHdI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi, finally got to see the video, so funny! I love his little laugh! I hope he enjoys skateboarding when he is a little older. You'll see from my newest blog post that turning 3 has made a few changes to Zak mindset, and my fearless little boy has become much more risk aware...just wondering where this will all go...

      Delete

Hey leave a message if you feel like it :0)